Reading Karan Johar’s autobiography is one of the most awesome thing I have done recently. I was totally absorbed by the book the moment I turned the first page.📚 I can’t beleive that I finished this book in one sitting. It was totally unexpected story of him. Yes I was expecting his confession on sexual orientation etc etc , but this much honesty. NO WAY! In a way, he told the world that look I don’t care you hate me or love me , I am what I am. I totally respect that 🙏. I’ve recommended this book to all my friends in Goodreads circle. 👫👭
This book is not just an autobiography but there are some life lesson KJo has shared.
- Be yourself : Kjo is totally unapologetically to himself. He doesn’t care what others think about him. Being himself is one of the bravest thing he has done in his life. It was not easy as a celebrity and public figure. But he chose that. I was literally in tears while reading the chapter where he mentioned about his childhood and how lonely he was. It’s so amazing to see his journey from a shy guy to the showbiz star.💪
- Communicate and confront your fear: He mentioned the importance of communication and how therapy helped him to confront his fear. He heard when people told him that there is something odd the way he talks and the way he expresses the things to others. He took comments on him positively and tried to improve himself. We can imagine how difficult it must be for him being a only kid and grew up in a era where you cannot talk about your sexual orientation openly.
- Friendship is everything: KJo taught us that how friendship is equally important then other key relationships in our life. Every close friend of him played a critical role in his journey to being a director. A profession he never dreamt of. It’s really great to read about his friendship with Aditya Chopra and Shahruk Khan and how he managed to keep friendship intact. There were ups and down, but he confessed about his mistakes so honestly.
- 90’s Bollywood: only one line- If you grew up watching 90’s Bollywood movies then you don’t have to find any other excuse to read this book.
- DDLJ & KKHH: If you are a fan of dilwale dulhaniya le jaayenge or Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Then this book is a must for you guys. This book will take you to the behind the scenes. You will be amazed to see that how much hard work and thought process they all have given to these movies. It’s not just about good cloths or love stories.
I hope this will help you to decide whether you should actually buy or not buy this book. I always like Karan Johar as a director . But his writing style is as refreshing as his movies are. Please share your comments and questions in the column below. I would love to answer your queries.❤️